ROMS Alumnus Will Thomason on his Fulbright Fellowship

September 6, 2022

Will Thomason graduated from UNC with a major in Hispanic Literatures and Cultures. Here, he shares his experiences as a Fulbright Fellow teaching in Colombia:

As a recipient of the Fulbright Fellowship, I am currently working at a university in Pasto, Colombia, and I have the ROMS Department of UNC to thank for it. If I had not studied Spanish at UNC, I would not have received this grant and I would not have had the opportunity to immerse myself in the language and culture of Colombia. Using the knowledge that I gained in the Spanish classes I took at UNC, I have been able to navigate living in this country with ease. I recall one of my favorite classes at UNC, a course in Latin American culture, where we analyzed different works of fiction and non-fiction, and I have been able to incorporate this knowledge in both informal and formal settings here in Colombia. I hope to encourage others to pursue language-learning at UNC in order to expand their opportunities for travel and for intercultural exchange.