The Contemporary Spanish Novel
Graduate seminar analyzing trends in contemporary Spanish narrative fiction, film and graphic novel from 1975 to the present, centering on key texts selected from the MA reading list. In addition to conducting a critical survey of the central narrative, aesthetic and cultural contexts from which these texts emerge, we will also workshop strategies for publishing and teaching in Hispanic Studies.
In addition to the weekly readings and active class participation, students will write one article-length research paper and a scholarly book review modeled on those published in peer-reviewed journals in the field, complete a teaching project, and contribute weekly discussion questions. Each student will also do a presentation and collaborate on a group project on scholarly publishing in Hispanic Studies.
Some works we will likely discuss:
- Martín Gaite, Carmen. El cuarto de atrás. (1978)
- Etxebarría, Lucía. Amor, curiosidad, prozac y dudas. (1997)
- Cercas, Javier. Soldados de Salamina. Tusquets. (2001)
- El Hachmi, Najat. El último patriarca. (2008) (original title: L’ultim patriarca)
- Roca, Paco. Los surcos del azar. (2013)
- Cría cuervos (dir. Carlos Saura, 1976)
- Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (dir. Pedro Almodóvar, 1988)
Selected documentary films
Previously Offered:Fall 2017