Emiliano Guaraldo Rodriguez
Ph.D. Student in Italian
Advised by Professor Federico Luisetti
email@example.com | Dey 213
At UNC Since 2012
University of Virginia – M.A. in Italian Studies 2012
Università degli Studi di Torino – Laurea in International Studies 2010
Emiliano is a PhD candidate in Italian studies. In his doctoral project “Estrazione. The Anthropocene and the Emergence of Italian Petro-Imagination”, Emiliano adopts a critical framework from Science and Technologies Studies and new-materialist schools of thought to analyze the manifestations of oil extraction and petroleum in the Italian 20th century visual and literary cultures.
His interests include cultural studies, critical theory, science and technology studies, documentary film and the posthuman.
- “Nomadic Terroirs” Antroposcenari Conference, Torino, Italy 2017.
- “The Sound of Energy, Matter, and Automation: The Birth of Italian Electronic Music” AAIS annual conference, Baton Rouge 2016.
- “Batallas en el Desierto. Denis Villeneuve’s Sicario, Gianfranco Rosi’s Sicario: Room 164 and the Border as Neo-liberal Warscape” Crossroads Conference 2016, Athens, GA 2016.
- “Oil Matters. Eni’s Extraction Cinema and the Italian Petro-Imagination” UCLA Italian Studies Conference, Los Angeles 2016.
- “Energy in Motion. The Path of Petroleum and the ENI-Sponsored Documentaries.” ROMS Colloquium Series, Chapel Hill 2015.
- “Stadiopticon. Financialization of Sport Spectatorship and the Emergence of Surveillance in the Italian Stadium” CCRL Conference, Chapel Hill 2015.
- “Matter, Animality, Cosmos. Performing the Non-human in the works of Societas Raffaello Sanzio.” AAIS annual conference, Boulder 2015.
- Guaraldo, Emiliano and Colleoni, Federica “Trevico-Torino: Viaggio nel Fiat-Nam: Metamorphoses of Urban Space and the Multiplication of the Factory in the Age of the Anthropocene” in Lanzoni, Remi and Bowen, Edward (eds.), The Cinema of Ettore Scola, Wayne State University Press (Forthcoming 2018)
- Guaraldo, Emiliano “Terroir Nomadi. Viticultura e Vino nell’Antropocene.” In Fargione, Daniela and Concilio, Carmen (eds.), Antroposcenari. Storie, paesaggi, ecologie, Bologna: Il Mulino. (Forthcoming 2018)
- Guaraldo, Emiliano “L’ecocritica in Italia: ambiente, letteratura, nuovi materialismi. A proposito dei volumi di S. Iovino, Ecocriticism and Italy: Ecology, Resistance, and Liberation (2016) e di N. Turi (a cura di), Ecosistemi letterari (2016).” LEA – Lingue e letterature d’Oriente e d’Occidente, n. 5 (2016), pp. 701-712
- Guaraldo, Emiliano “Of Swordfish and Men. An Ecocritical Reading of Vittorio De Seta’s Sicilian Documentaries.” La Fusta. Journal of Italian Literature and Culture. Vol. XXII (2014).
- Review of Parker, Deborah, and Mark Parker. Inferno Revealed From Dante to Dan Brown, Palgrave Macmillan, New York: 2013. In Annali d’Italianistica Vol. 32 (2014).
- Review of Amberson, Deborah, and Elena Past. Thinking Italian Animals: Human and Posthuman in Modern Italian Literature and Film. , 2014. In Relations: Beyond Anthropocentrism 3.3
- Review of Bonifazio, Paola. Schooling in Modernity: The Politics of Sponsored Films in Postwar Italy. , 2014. In G/S/I: Gender Sexuality Italy. 2 (2015)