Teaching Assistant Professor of Spanish
Undergraduate Spanish Advisor (Spanish Translation & Interpreting Minor)
firstname.lastname@example.org | Dey 122
At UNC since 2017
Ph.D. Languages, Texts and Contexts. University of Granada, Spain. July 2015
M.A. Translation and Interpreting. University of Granada, Spain. December 2010
Licenciatura (5-year degree) Translation and Interpreting. University of Granada, Spain. July 2007
Tamara Cabrera’s main teaching and research focus is the theory and practice of specialized translation and conference interpreting. Her research and teaching experience build on her specialized academic training at the University of Granada (Spain), and on her professional experience as a Spanish specialized translator and a simultaneous interpreter in fields such as Law/Criminal Law, Social and Environmental Justice, Health, and Architecture.
She attained her Ph.D. in 2015 and has specialized publications on specialized simultaneous interpreting, on the translation and interpreting market in the U.S., on corpus-based interpreting studies, and on the challenges of translating Architecture descriptions.
She is an active member of the American Translators Association and other professional associations, and a Spanish-government Sworn Interpreter and Translator, certified by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
At UNC, Tamara Cabrera directs the Undergraduate Translation and Interpreting (TRIN) Minor, teaches specialized translation and interpreting courses, and develops and conducts the Spanish FLPA Exam (Foreign Language Proficiency) Examination.
- Cabrera, T. (2018) La reseña arquitectónica y su traducción/ Translating Architectural Reviews. Jostrans: The Journal of Specialized Translation, 29, 81-101, available online.
- Cabrera, T. (2017) Applications of Simultaneous Interpreting Corpora in Terminology Research. New Voices in Translation Studies, 17, 31-51, available online.
- Cabrera, T. (2017) El Sector de la Traducción y la Interpretación en los Estados Unidos. Informes del Observatorio. Observatorio de la lengua española y las culturas hispánicas en los Estados Unidos. Instituto Cervantes en Harvard University-FAS.
- Cabrera, T. (2017) The Translation and Interpreting Industry in the US. Observatorio Reports. Observatory of the Spanish Language and Hispanic Cultures in the US. Instituto Cervantes at Harvard University-FAS.
- Cabrera, T. (2016) Interpreting Architecture: The ARCHINT Corpus. Tradumàtica. Technologies de la Tradució, Revistes Digitals-Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona, 14, 156-171.
- SPAN 351 Interpreting I
- SPAN 352 Interpreting II
- SPAN 369 Translation I
- SPAN 370 Translation II
- SPAN 601 Spanish for Reading