Teaching Assistant Professor of Spanish
Undergraduate Spanish Advisor (Spanish Translation & Interpreting Minor)
email@example.com | Dey 122
At UNC since 2017
Ph.D. Languages, Texts and Contexts. University of Granada, Spain. July 2015
M.A. Translation and Interpreting. University of Granada, Spain. December 2010
Licenciatura (5-year degree) Translation and Interpreting. University of Granada, Spain. July 2007
Tamara Cabrera’s main research focus is the theory and practice of translation and interpreting, and her research builds on her academic training and professional experience as a translator and interpreter, particularly in the specialized fields of Art and Architecture. She is currently working on a book project that will bring together the translation work and experiences of twenty-five contemporary U.S. literary translators of Spanish while discussing the concepts of authorship, creativity and aesthetics in literary translation. She has also conducted research on the translation and interpreting market in the U.S. in light of the changing linguistic and demographic landscape; on corpus-based interpreting studies and on the challenges of translating Architecture descriptions.
She is an active member of ALTA (American Literary Translators Association), the EST (European Society for Translation Studies), the MLA (Modern Languages Association) and ALDEEU ( Spanish Professoinals in America). She is also a sworn translator, certified by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
At UNC, Tamara Cabrera teaches specialized courses on translation and interpreting, as well as language courses. She is a firm advocate of foreign language study and community engagement as transformative educational experiences, and integrates community-based learning opportunities in her translation and interpreting classrooms.
- Cabrera, T. (2018) La reseña arquitectónica y su traducción/ Translating Architectural Reviews. Jostrans: The Journal of Specialized Translation, 29, 81-101, available online.
- Cabrera, T. (2017) Applications of Simultaneous Interpreting Corpora in Terminology Research. New Voices in Translation Studies, 17, 31-51, available online.
- Cabrera, T. (2017) El Sector de la Traducción y la Interpretación en los Estados Unidos. Informes del Observatorio. Observatorio de la lengua española y las culturas hispánicas en los Estados Unidos. Instituto Cervantes en Harvard University-FAS.
- Cabrera, T. (2017) The Translation and Interpreting Industry in the US. Observatorio Reports. Observatory of the Spanish Language and Hispanic Cultures in the US. Instituto Cervantes at Harvard University-FAS.
- Cabrera, T. (2016) Interpreting Architecture: The ARCHINT Corpus. Tradumàtica. Technologies de la Tradució, Revistes Digitals-Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona, 14, 156-171.
- SPAN 203 Intermediate Spanish I
- SPAN 369 Translation I
- SPAN 370 Translation II
- SPAN 351 Interpreting I