Ph.D. Student in Italian
Advised by Professor Marisa Escolar
email@example.com | Dey 317
M.A. Romance Languages and Literatures – The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2014
B.A. Foreign Languages and Literatures – Università di Bologna 2011
Martina is currently a second year Ph.D. student of Italian in the Department of Romance Studies. She holds a B.A. from the University of Bologna and also studied in London, at Middlesex University, under the Erasmus Programme.
In 2014 Martina received her M.A. from the department of Romance Studies in Chapel Hill, and continued her studies with her PhD.
Her research interests include twentieth-century literature and cinema, migration studies and the Fascist years. She is particularly interested in the role and the representation of women during WWII and in the Post-War period (especially partisan women).
She has also taken courses in Spanish literature and cinema at UNC and Duke University, and likes to explore parallels between Spanish and Italian authors of the nineteenth and twentieth century.
Some of her most recent presentations at conferences are:
- “Nuovomondo and Lamerica: The Experience of Migration Never Fades Away”. 45th Annual Convention NeMLA, Harrisburg (PA), April 2014.
- “Intercultural Dialogue and Social Conflict: The Mediterranean Space in Contemporary Italian Cinema”. American Association of Italian Studies, Zurich, May 2014.
- “Ida Dalser and Aldo Moro’s Letters: An Escape from Prison in Bellocchio’s Cinema”. CCRL Carolina Conference on Romance Languages at UNC-Chapel Hill (NC), April 2015.
- “Cristina Trivulzio di Belgiojoso’s Reflections on the Newborn Kingdom of Italy: An Underestimated Manifesto of Italian Romantic Patriotism”. American Association of Italian Studies, Baton Rouge (LA), April 2016. (Upcoming).
During her time at UNC she has been teaching both Italian and Spanish courses at the undergraduate level:
- ITAL 101(Elementary Italian I)
- ITAL 102 (Elementary Italian II)
- ITAL 203 (Intermediate Italian I)
- ITAL 204 (Intermediate Italian II)
- SPAN 105 (Spanish for High Beginners)