Sigma Delta Pi (Zeta Psi Chapter)
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society (La Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica), was established on November 14, 1919, at the University of California Berkeley. The Society’s insignia is the royal seal of Fernando and Isabel, representing Castille, León and Aragón. Sigma Delta Pi’s colors are red and gold, its flower is the red carnation, and its motto is the Greek phrase “Spanías Didagéi Proágomen” meaning “Let’s go forth/continue forth under the teaching/guidance of the Spanish language.” The national headquarters is located at the College of Charleston in South Carolina.
For more information on Sigma Delta Pi historical background and member roster check out on the UNC Student Organization Page.
SDP Student Membership Requirements:
- You must have completed 3 semesters of college-level course work.
- You must have completed 3 years of study of college-level Spanish (18 semester hours, or the equivalent thereof – includes exempted courses through placement).
- You must have completed or be currently enrolled (with a grade of A or B) in a Hispanic literature, civilization or linguistics course above Span 260.
- You must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.2.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in your Spanish courses.
Upcoming SDP Events – Spring Semester 2017
SDP Spring 2017 Initiation will be held on Wednesday, April 5th at 5:30 PM in the Toy Lounge.
Scholarships and awards are one of the many benefits of being a member of Sigma Delta Pi.
Check out the many scholarships and awards available to members of SDP here.
If you are interested in purchasing a SDP honor cord or stole, please follow this link to the national website for purchasing information.
Stoles range from $29.70-$35.00 and honor cords are $4.50.