Larry D. King Post-Graduate Fellowship
The Department of Romance Studies of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the Centro Internacional de Estudios Culturales (CINECU) in Seville, Spain, are pleased to announce the Larry D. King Post-Graduate Fellowship. The award will provide a 2018-2019 graduating Hispanic Literatures and Cultures or Hispanic Linguistics major a 9-month experience living in Seville, Spain. The award consists of:
- Assistance in securing a visa (applicant must have a valid passport which does not expire for at least 6 months after the fellowship ends. Once the recipient is announced, CINECU will provide instructions and documentation necessary for completing the visa application.)
- Health insurance
- A monetary award of $4,000 from the Department of Romance Studies to cover airfare and/or help defray monthly living expenses
- A 9-month contract to work 20-25 hours per week with the UNC-in-Seville study abroad program for a stipend of 650-700 euros per month. The recipient must be proficient in MS Office and have some experience with WordPress and Photoshop or other graphic design software prior to arrival in Spain.Possible tasks include managing social media, programming supplemental cultural activities, and assisting with various administrative tasks such as creating and updating pertinent student documents and databases.
- The possibility to work as an unpaid intern in a healthcare setting or with a local start-up company, contingent upon availability and the recipient’s proficiency in Spanish. This opportunity, if available, will be in addition to the 20-25 hours per week at CINECU.
All 2018-2019 graduating Hispanic Literatures and Cultures or Hispanic Linguistics majors are invited to apply. The applicant must be available August 27, 2019—May 31, 2020.
To apply, complete the application by the deadline, March 25, 2019 at the following link: https://romancestudies.unc.edu/undergraduate/king-fellowship/application. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Required application materials:
- Letter of application addressing the fellowship’s potential to impact the recipient’s life and/or career
- Current resume
- Letter of recommendation from one of your ROMS professors addressing your suitability for the fellowship. The professor must submit an electronic copy of the letter of recommendation using this link on or before March 25, 2019.
- UNC-CH transcript from Connect Carolina demonstrating a strong GPA in the major
Finalists will be invited for an interview with the fellowship selection committee comprised of Carlos Valencia, the director of CINECU, and three representatives from the Department of Romance Studies. The recipient of the fellowship will be announced by April 15, 2019 and the award will be formally presented at the ROMS graduation reception on May 11, 2019.