Ph.D. Student in Spanish
Advised by Professor Carmen Hsu
email@example.com | Dey 217
At UNC Since 2017
M.A. in Romance Studies (Spanish), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 2019.
M.A. in Teaching Methodologies of a Foreign Language (English), University of Seville (Spain). 2014.
M.A. in English Studies (Early Modern English Literature), University of Seville (Spain). 2013.
Elena is a PhD student specializing in 16th- and 17th-century Spanish literature. Her interests include theatre, life of saints, “relaciones de sucesos” (news pamphlets), nation building, the construction of cultural identities, and European expansions and exchanges between Catholic Spain and the Protestant world. She is particularly interested in the study of cross-national perceptions and images as expressed in literary discourse.
- Aracil Varón, Beatriz. “Yo, don Hernán Cortés.” Reflexiones en torno a la escritura cortesiana. Madrid: Iberoamericana/Vervuert, 2016
- “Expansión transoceánica de la Iberia católica y su representación en La conquista de México (1668) de Antonio Enríquez Gómez.” Asociación Internacional Siglo de Oro. Online. November 2020.
- “Contemporary Connections: Issues of im(migration) in Contemporary Spain.” The Duke-UNC Consortium for Middle East Studies, UNC Center for European Studies, and National Humanities Center. Interdisciplinary workshop: Andalucía: History and Culture of Muslim Spain. March 2020.
- “Catarismo, redenciones y milagros en La vida de San Pedro Nolasco de Lope de Vega.” Asociación Internacional de Hispanistas. Hebrew University. Israel. July 2019.
- “War and the Supernatural: Shaping Sainthood in La vida de San Pedro Nolasco (1629).” Carolina Conference for Romance Studies. University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. April 2018.
- “The Actress and her Character: The Prologues and Epilogues of Charlotte Butler (1680-1693).” 25 International SEDERI Conference. University of Oviedo. Spain. May 2014.
- Gutherie Summer Award. 2020.
- The Graduate Student Transportation Grant. 2019.
- GPSF Excellence in Mentoring Graduate Students Award. 2019.
- Nominated to the María Salgado Award at the Carolina Conference of Romance Studies. 2018.
- SPAN 101: Elementary Spanish I
- SPAN 105: Spanish for High Beginners
- SPAN 203: Intermediate Spanish I
- SPAN 255: Spanish Conversation
- SPAN 321: Spanish for Medical Professions